Saturday, December 13, 2008

Merry Christmas like it or not?

Ah, it's that time of year when things seem just a little bit sweeter, when hustle and bustle are good things, and when every small child has a glint of hope behind his or her eye. I love Christmas. I know that we can't exactly pin down the day that Jesus was born. I know that we aren't told specifically to celebrate his birth on a certain day and I understand that there are many who don't celebrate this at all. I'm very sorry. I don't, however, hesitate to hold the door of Wawa open for, well, just about anyone and heartily wish them a "Merry Christmas". I do it all the time. I am usually met with some surprise and then a smile and then the greeting is reciprocated in some fashion. If "Merry Christmas" is offensive to you though, let me take this time to say I'm truly sorry. If my saying "Have a Merry Christmas" bothers you, then please take it this way. We traditionally celebrate Christmas on December 25, (just in case you live under a rock) and I truly wish "Merriment" (or just plain "Happiness") for you on that day and all the days of the Winter Solstice.

I would honestly prefer that you understand and accept that the God who made the world and everything in it set forth a time when he would send His only Son. On that day, whenever it was, the Angels sang out the news. The news wasn't just that a baby was born. It wasn't even to tell that there was something miraculous about the birth. The news was that He would be the one capable of saving us from ourselves. He could remove the stain of sin and take on himself the death that waited for us all. So the angels sang because a monumental event had occurred. God had finally sent salvation into the world. This salvation is for everyone without limit or exclusion; and its free.

So when I say "Merry Christmas" what I mean is "God Loves You and Jesus Died For You", but if you don't want to hear that, then let it mean "Have a nice day".

Sincerely,
Tom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And 'Merry Christmas' to you, too, Tom ! [and what I mean is....isn't it WONDERFUL that God loves us and that Jesus died for us ?]

Tom said...

Yes and thank you regardless of what it means.

jel said...

merry CHRISTmas