Monday, May 12, 2008

RSD

Many of you have been praying for my wife Dawn for a while. I so appreciate your concern for her, but I probably haven't been very good at explaining what's going on. Dawn has RSD. It started after she had surgery this past November to remove a cartilage tumor in her left ring finger. Her cartilage tumor came because a bit of cartilage in that finger never turned to bone. The tumor was benign and they took a small bit of bone from her wrist and put it where the bone in her finger should have been. Dawn should have been better within weeks, but the pain never went away. It actually got worse and moved up her arm and across her shoulders. After going back to the doctors a many times we found out that she was exhibiting all the signs of RSD (also knows as CRPS or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). I’ve included some descriptions below of RSD. You can see this and more at http://www.rsds.org/index2.html. Not too many people are aware of RSD. We sure weren't. I'm wearing a small orange RSD Awareness wrist band on my left hand. I hate to have things on my wrist, but if Dawn is going through this constant pain in her left hand and arm, the very least I can do is have this supportive minor annoyance on mine.

Thanks for your concern and your prayers.
Tom

RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) is a chronic neurological syndrome characterized by:
* severe burning pain
* pathological changes in bone and skin
* excessive sweating
* tissue swelling
* extreme sensitivity to touch
There are Two Types of CRPS - Type I and Type II
* CRPS Type I (also referred to as RSD) - cases in which the nerve injury cannot be immediately identified
* CRPS Type II (also referred to as Causalgia) - cases in which a distinct "major" nerve injury has occurred
* CRPS is best described in terms of an injury to a nerve or soft tissue (e.g. broken bone) that does not follow the normal healing path
* CRPS development does not appear to depend on the magnitude of the injury. The sympathetic nervous system seems to assume an abnormal function after an injury.
* Since there is no single laboratory test to diagnose CRPS, the physician must assess and document both subjective complaints (medical history) and, if present, objective findings (physical examination).
Criteria for Diagnosing

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I (RSD)
* The presence of an initiating noxious event, or a cause of immobilization
* Continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia with which the pain is disproportionate to any inciting event
* Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of the pain
* This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type II (Causalgia)
* The presence of continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia after a nerve injury, not necessarily limited to the distribution of the injured nerve
* Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of pain
This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father, I want to lift up your daughter Dawn at this time. I ask that you ease her pain and strengthen her body. I ask that you remove this disease and its effects from her life. I pray that you grant her and Tom peace throughout it all. In Jesus' name, amen.

May each day bring its own blessings.

Grace and peace,
Tim

jel said...

thank you Tom,

for sharing this with us!

blessings

Tom said...

Tim,
Thank you for the prayer. It means so much.

Jel,
Thanks for your email, your thoughts and your prayers. It's great to have such good friends (even though I've never met you).lol

Bob Bliss said...

Tom, your explanation seems so "clinical" but I'm sure that's not the way you guys feel about the pain Dawn is in. Tell her that we love her and are praying for her. I hope that God comforts her and gives her relief soon.

Tom said...

Bob,
Most of what I posted is from that site. Dawn's pain is very personal and very impactful. She is a wonderful wife and mother and I am blessed that she chose me. I pray for God to relieve her pain daily.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

jesdenm said...

I want to commend you for being such a wonderful and supportive husband. You are truly at the "for better or for worse" vow stated when you got married. I am blessed to say I too have a wonderful and supportive family. It helps us make it through this horrible pain.

I pray that the Lord gives you the strength to be her strength when she doesn't have it. I pray that the Lord provide an avenue that offers better pain control. Amen.

Please continue to be strong and your faith even stronger.

Always pain free hugs,
Christine
http://AfflictedWithRSD.com
http://blog.christineleiendecker.com