Saturday, October 11, 2008

Harvest Time

I had previously said that I wouldn't be blogging very often during harvest, but that when I did I'd have some fresh pictures. Well, I am nothing if not a man of my word so here they are. This first image is of the gathering crew in a beautiful red ring of berries. I was blessed to be in some waders on today when I took this and so I was very close to the fruit.
Next we see from a week or so ago the hands of Santa (seriously) in so
me fresh picked cranberries.

When we flood a bog to get ready for picking, millions of little (and some not so little) spiders scamper away from the water and end up making webs on the sides of the dam. Here is a picture depicting such an event.


and finally, Beauty and the beautiful beast. This is a wonderful picture of a spider on the berries (ergo the beauty and the beast reference), but take a close look at the back of the spider and you'll notice that this icky critter is actually a mommy walking away from danger with all her icky babies on her icky back. How wonderful; icky but wonderful.
More to come...
Tom

8 comments:

jel said...

looks like a good Harvest!

Bob Bliss said...

Tom, fall was always my favorite season in Jersey. Thanks for the pictures of harvest time.

Jeanne M. said...

I truly miss the wonderful cranberry harvest event - and the delicious fresh cranberries. Yum!

Tom said...

Thanks for checking in. I'll post more pictures in the coming days.
Love to all,
Tom

Anonymous said...

Tom- loved your 'table-talk' using the mama spider....what wonderful lessons nature gives us!

Tom said...

GM,
Thanks. It was a wonderful lesson for me.
Tom

Jeanne M. said...

For some reason I cannot see your new pictures.

Tom said...

Jeanne,
I inadvertently deleted them.
Tom