Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Drowning

With his shirt plastered to his chest, the six year old boy who had been fishing with his sister and father tried desperately to keep his head above the water. His pants were soaked with the dirty brown lake water and the extra weight pulled him under. If he had time to regret he may have felt sorry for not listening to his dad warn him to stay close by. Staying alive was more pressing than regret. The swirls of water washed around his head and the long deep stems from the lily pads wrapped around his arms and legs making it nearly impossible to stay afloat. He tasted the bitter water as he opened his mouth desperately wide for air. His attempts for oxygen brought more water into his stinging nose and throat. Scrambling to the surface he tried to scream, but his cry for help only proved to give him another mouthful of the dirty lake. Fortunately his eleven-year-old sister was nearby and capable of a more than healthy scream.

Down below the water again, and then with little legs frantically kicking he faught back up. It was then that he opened his burning eyes to see something he would never forget. As a photo in his mental album, this picture would forever stay with him. There on the shore, running along the slanted hill that ringed the lake, came his daddy. The sight of him casting off cumbersome articles of clothing, zigzagging between trees, pushing through thick branches and shedding knots of tangled fishing line took on the mystique of a man taking off his glasses and shirt to reveal a large “S” and a billowing red cape. In an instant the man was wet and the boy quickly found himself safely in the arms of his father. Through it all, the man never took his eyes off his sinking son.
Forever, the son remembers.

There is another who remembers. He recalls being pinned to a wooden cross where he waited for death to creep slowly and excruciatingly into his beaten body. He remembers the morning turning into day as he and his two companions slipped into the approaching darkness. He remembers the tears that were shed by the woman standing at the base of the next splintery death post. But most of all he can’t forget the voices. The collective voice of the mob was burned in his mind as it screamed hatred and scorn till hearts burned furious and throats burned raw. He remembers the voice of a dying thief as he ridiculed out of fear and selfishness, “If you are the Messiah, save yourself, and us.”

But then time gets jumbled and his memory a little hazy, like the world suddenly started spinning and speeding by too fast. He recalls saying something, but it takes a while to match thought with word. He remembers trying to defend the man who hung between him and the blasphemous thief. He recalls making a hopeless request. He, a man who had sinned his entire life and who had come to this wretched and deserved end approached the man from Nazareth with a plea that could only come from a drowning man. Drowning in sin, drowning in pain and drowning in death he made a very simple plea. “Teacher,” he said looking to the ground past his blood soaked feet, “Teacher, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

The response could have been the worst rejection the man had ever suffered; it should have been. Instead he was given the greatest gift of his life. He was thrown the lifeline for his soul. The drowning man was pulled from the gaping mouth of the grave.

With dried blood on his cracked lips, the forgiving voice of Jesus uttered words that will forever play through the man’s mind. “Today, you will be with me in paradise.” And with those words Jesus dove into the man’s sinful heart and pulled him out of the black waters of spiritual death. There was an instant when Jesus was wet with blood and cold with the sins of others; an instant when the sinful drowning man found himself safely in the arms of his Savior.

The same Jesus who spoke those words on that cross makes the same promise to all who choose to live for him today, and paradise waits. Through it all, He never takes his eyes off his sinking, struggling children.

Tom

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW,WOW,WOW......WOW!!!!!!

Tom said...

Thank you both. I am happy that I dug out this old notebook. As I said, I was a bit hesitant to post this stuff on here. I think perhaps there have been about 2 or 3 people who have ever seen any of these things. It is a little nerve racking posting these things on the web. I think I left this un-posted for nearly an hour before I convinced myself to hit the “Post” button. Thank you for your encouragement. Tom

Anonymous said...

Tom, have you ever thought about having your writings published ? I can see them in a little book of devotionals. They'd make great discussion-starters,too, for Bible classes or retreats. You can check out Writers Digest 2008 for a list of publishers and the genre each is looking for.There are also writers groups in our area that provide support,helpful hints and critique to make the process less 'painful'. I really believe you need to be sharing this stuff with more than a few of us !

Tom said...

GM,

I have often held a passing thought about publishing something but I never thought about any of these necessarily. I do have a children's book that I have submitted and am not too patiently waiting for a response from the publisher. I would like to be involved in a writers group, but don't know exactly where I'd find the time for it. Again, thank you for your encouragement.

Tom

preacherman said...

Thank you Tom for sharing this beautiful post with us. Moving. Powerful. Beautiful. Keep up the great work you do with your blog.

Anonymous said...

I know there's a writers group at the Barnes and Noble [Moorestown Mall] because I used to be a member- they meet once a month on a Tuesday night. I,too, have an interest in childrens books. I've written [and illustrated] 8 of them but have not been ready for the rejections that surely would come if I submitted them for publishing. For now they are just enjoyed by our family.Would love to see your manuscript!

Tom said...

GM,

I'll tell Dawn to remind me to bring a copy of it to church. I'd also love to see what you've written and drawn.

Tom

Jeanne M. said...

Did this story really happen, and if so, was the boy in it you? The lesson was very good and I appreciate your posting it.

Tom said...

Yes Jeanne, the story did happen and the boy was me. I remember the shirt I was wearing at the time. I got such a spanking for that, but then my dad hugged the stuffing out of me.

Thanks for stopping by.
Say "Hello" to Lon from us.

Tom

Anonymous said...

That's really beautiful, Tom.