Sunday, June 1, 2008

On the way to church ...

I pulled up to the curb as I always do when we are late. I opened the automatic sliding door on the van and Christian was the first one out. In the blink of an eye he jumped to the sidewalk, jumped up and grabbed the stone blocks that top the wall to the right of the steps. That fast, two stone blocks fell from the wall and one of them hit him on the head and face as it fell to the sidewalk. He stood there for a moment thinking he was in trouble and calmly stated "Well, that never happened before." That is when we first saw the blood. A significant gash had been cut into his forehead at his hairline. Dawn was calm, I got somewhat panicky. We got him to the ER where he had 9 stitches in his forehead which are enhanced by some cuts and scrapes down his nose lip and chin. He's doing a little better now but he will be feeling this for some time. We stayed home tonight and hung out. We also prayed and hugged a lot.

Tom

12 comments:

Loni said...

Glad to hear that Christian is okay. Things like that can really hit you quick. I am sure he is enjoying all the extra attention he is getting from everyone now!!! Hope all else is well with you guys!

Pat said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear of Christian's accident. Wish I could give all of you a hug!

jel said...

i'm 2 sorry about what happen, to your son!

Tom said...

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. He is doing better than I thought. We've been keeping him on Advil to cut the pain. He keeps telling me "Dad, I feel fine!", while sounding very annoyed with me.
Tom

Jeanne M. said...

I can just hear him now. He is such a sensible little boy, sometimes I wonder how he grew up so fast. Hope and pray his healing is swift, and Dad recovers, too. ;-)

Tom said...

I have to admit that dad didn't handle this as well as mom. I guess there are some things that break us down. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers Jeanne M.

Tom

Bob Bliss said...

Tom, when Trey was young (3 or 4) he tried to imitate dad and shave. He cut his upper lip and I have never seen so much blood. I remember my panic as well.

Jeanne M. said...

Tom, when Pat was about 5 or 6, before evening service she was running in the building (had been told not to do that), fell and hit her forehead on the corner of a pew. Had quite a cut, so we had to go to the doctor's house (small town) to have him look at it. While he was probing the cut, Lon had to leave the room - couldn't stand seeing his little girl hurting. The doctor treated her with a butterfly bandage, but it didn't hold. The next morning he had to administer stitches, and didn't use an anesthetic because he said it would cause more of a scar. She sat there and didn't cry either time - such a brave little girl. She still has a small scar. So I guess most dads have problems seeing their children hurting. (Mothers do, too, but see it more often, I guess.)

Anonymous said...

As soon as we arrived at the church building, on Sunday, my husband pointed out the bricks on the ground. When the announcement was made that Christian had gone to the emergency room we just KNEW those bricks were, somehow involved ! We were on a 'first name basis' with the staff at the emergency ward when our kids were young ...you never get used to seeing your child hurt !

Tom said...

anonymous,

Yea, everyone keeps saying "a brick" fell on his head. Those weren't your average bricks. I'll try to remember to take a picture of them for everyone. They were stones to cap the wall. We are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Right ! My guess is that they are about 7" by 12".......would that be about right?

Tom said...

Pretty close. They were big stones. God is wonderful.
Tom