Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spelling Error

I am frequently an offender of the hard and fast rules of spelling, as most of you know. It is usually my goal to correct these as soon as I can (unless of course it proves to be funnier if I leave it as is). I recently ran across an example of a spelling issue far worse than any I've ever made (save my grade school report where I confused the word "Algae" for a similar sounding word which begins with the letter "O"; and since that error was on an oral report, it was less a spelling issue and more a "talk of the school" faux paux. This error is one that most all of us have seen and may not have realized. The following is the content of a page from Uncle John's Bathroom Reader 2008 Desk Calendar, Date Monday, June 9:

"Monnopely"
In 2002 Parker Brothers admitted that for the previous 60 years it had misspelled Marven Gardens, named after a street in Atlantic City, New Jersey, as Marvin Gardens on the popular board game Monopoly. But the company said that recalling the game and manufacturing new editions with the correct spelling would, at this point, be too costly.

Blogger's Note: The obvious misspelling of the word Monopoly in quotes at the beginning is as it is shown on the calendar page, and not a typo of the blogger; this time.

Blogger's Second Note: The faux paux I mentioned earlier did cause me some embarrassment, but it also managed to save my grade. You see, the oral report was being timed and while I didn't have enough material to fill the time allotted, the laughter at my misspeak managed to use up the balance quite nicely.

Anyone else feel like sharing an awkward moment or a memorable mistake?

No comments: