Thursday, August 21, 2008

Both the silver and the Bronze medals were lost in the men's 200 meter sprint last night, and not only by those too slow to keep up with the leaders, no they were lost because two runners stepped on the white line on the inside of their lane.   So, while Uusain Bolt performed his "I'm #1," "Whose the Fastest Man" happy dance, Churandy Martina and Wallace Spearmon had the visage of, slightly diminished, elation wiped from their exhausted, vein extruded faces as each man in turn heard that his quest for a shiny circular prize had fallen just short.  You see, the rules state that if a runner steps on the inside line (even just a little bit) they will be disqualified; end of the line, take your shoes off and sulk while your lawyers protest the IOC's ruling.  Personally, I feel bad that these two men worked hard and lost, but at least we've finally found in this, a moment of absolutes; a hard line not to be crossed, or even stepped on.     In a time when wright and wrong are mixed into shades of grey and responsibility is something victims push off on their parents, their bosses, the government and society as a whole, here stands one clear moment of absolute.  You step on this line and you're out.  

Wouldn't those lines be better applied in the legal system, in government, and in - well - life? Let's draw a white line on the inside lane of marriage and call it "till death do we part" and remain true to that.  Let's draw a line on the lane of parenthood that says "I'll be here for your son and daughter" and let it stand.  Let's draw a line on the track of honesty and integrity and not trample it underfoot.  Let's paint a white boarder down the narrow lane to God and dare not cross it for fear of disqualification.  Ah, but we're human, we mess up and we stomp all over these lines.  We are automatically disqualified and told that we may as well hang up our shoes and pay the consequences.  Thankfully, we have an authority greater than the IOC.  We have Jesus who took himself out of the race on our behalf.   He sees where our feet hit white paint and he takes on our disqualification.  

So today I'll run.  Lord let me run valiantly.  If I sacrifice integrity for a short cut, rebuke me.  If I exchange honor for accolades, instruct me.  If I trade your will for my want, correct me.  If I lose, let me congratulate those with fleeter feet and truer training. And if I win, let my happy dance be about you Lord.

Tom

3 comments:

jel said...

WELL SAID!!!!

Jeanne M. said...

Ooh, love your thoughts. I don't want to step on any lines, but you stepped on my toes. Does that count for something? ;-) So glad God isn't "counting" the number of times I have failed Him!

Tom said...

Jeanne,

I've crushed my own toes. I'm so thankful that the blood of Jesus so completely washes away my sins. Most of my early life, I wasn't even on the right -um- track much less in the right lane. I'm amazed at the story about the 14-year-old Chinese Gymnast who shouldn't be in the Olympics. I don't personally care if a 14 year old participates, good for her if she can play with the "big girls," but all the countries should abide by all the rules.

Tom