Monday, August 11, 2008

Long term church goals?

What is your congregation's long term vision? Do you have one? Is it generally known by the whole of the membership? Is it effective?

As most of you know, the congregation I attend is beginning a new phase with a new minister. There has been a lot of emotion in this process and a lot of confusion in the mix. Pulling back together after a set of events surrounding a change like this is difficult. Add to the normal difficulties a group of nearly 30 men who stepped in through that time to try (very difficult though it was) to fill the previous minister's ample shoes, and you have a tired, disgruntled group of people at best.

Now infuse a "new guy" and hope that all the folks who've been working hard for this long lag time don't throw their collective hands in the air and say "okey-dokey new guy, its all yours!" More than that, try and draw those tired Christians into a cohesive core to continue keeping on keeping on.

To this end, do you feel that a long term vision would be beneficial? What type of vision would you suggest? Does a church dare set a numbered goal; i.e. "We want to reach 1000 members in 10 years"?

I'll take any thought and any comments.

Tom

8 comments:

Bob Bliss said...

Selling a congregation on a vision (or goals) is difficult at best. You need everyone on board, unlike a business where goals often emanate from the top down and everyone must fall in line. Of course even in that scenario if the employees don't buy into the vision, it ain't going to happen. Once you start proposing a certain vision, someone is going to punch holes in it. And then it falls apart. Everyone has their vision.

1,000 members in 10 years is a bit optimistic for a church of Christ in the Northeast. It's even a bit optimistic for a CofC in the south. If your goals are too high you discourage people. But if they are too low you don't motivate anyone.

If you set goals you need a goal-reminder. You have to have someone who keeps you on target and pushes everyone to remember the goals and live by them.

Most important you need a cohesive group willing to work together for the good of the group. My prayers are with you and the Tabernacle congregation. Give Bill and Debbie my best.

Tom said...

Bob,

I pulled imaginary round numbers out of my head 10 years and 1000 members seemed like round numbers and have no real basis in any vision we've set here. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get there.

Obviously your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I will pass your greetings on to the McGee's.

Love to Pat,
Tom

Jeanne M. said...

We're praying for you all. God has mighty works in store for you, if you will keep on praying and working together.

By the way, Tom, where are the recent bulletins. I like to keep up with what is going on, and who is on the prayer list. Thanks.

Tom said...

Jeanne,

Thanks so much for keeping us in your prayers. I am becomming more and more aware of how important this is.

Also, I'll upload the latest bulletin tomorrow.

Miss you,
Tom

Jeanne M. said...

Tom - a side question. The bulletin states that Miss Peggy's Bible Time starts Feb. 13th. Is that a misprint?

Tom said...

Yes, you are correct. It is actually old information that never got removed. I am currently updating the site and will have that fixed. Thanks for the info.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Oh, leave it up to the Mohundro women to edit your typos! We have the curse of spotting errors from miles away. Yes, curse!! :o)

Tom said...

Lisa,
I wish I were blessed so. I can type the word completely incorrectly and since I'm focused only on the content and concept, I'll miss it.

Thanks for stopping by.
Tom