Monday, August 18, 2008

Mythical Mysteries



Two things used to scare the bejeepers out of me when I was the impressionable tender age of 6 (or thereabouts).   The first and probably the worst thing that scared me was Army Ants.  While I was over at a friends house, I saw a movie I would have never been alowed to see at home about gigantic, truck squashing, human eating ants.  My Mommy had to contend with all the nightmares I had after seeing these mammoth creatures ravage towns and villages, eating whatever was in their path.  I believe the movie may have been the one pictured on the right, but I'm not sure.  While I wouldn't condone seeing a movie titled thusly if it were made in the past few decades, I believe this one was made somewhere around the early 50s and so is less likely to be as revealing as the title suggests.  I can't recall seeing anything I wasn't supposed to see, but I was too busy hiding from the ants to worry about whether or not there were scantily clad people on the screen.   I just knew that these giant ants would seek out my house and my window to be their next target for pillaging and human flesh consumption.  I somehow managed to survive those years without these critters finding me.  I did develop a liking for killing as many ants as I could, regardless of the size of the ant or the size of their army.  
The second thing that gave me nightmares of the same ilk happened to be another movie; "Big-foot" which I saw in the theatre.  Oh, and don't you know that the big screen makes nightmares even bigger in your mind.  I'll not forget the scene where some girl was sitting in her living room watching tv.  There were a couple of windows behind her and a large shadowy figure kept moving about the porch outside.  It was when she heard a noise and went to check it out at one window that a gigantic arm broke through the other window and a frantic struggle for life and death ensued.  It was also at the moment of the window crash and the accompanying musical climax that I spilled a large movie soda all over myself.   During the sticky ride home my big sister did her level best to convince me that we had just seen a true story with live footage.  Aren't sisters wonderful.  Years later, I would finally put together that if there were camera men in the room filming the live footage of the monster crashing in the window, they would have surely warned the little girl about his presence.  
Last week, the inner child I am possessed of, was momentarily appeased.  Last week some guys in Georgia found Big-Foot dead.  They say they have him in a freezer there and are providing DNA and Photographic evidence of their story.  They also say the there were other Big-Foots (or is it Big-Feet) meandering about the area, so while I can take some solace in the passing of a terror, there is still the looming possibility of a Mrs. Foot and Junior Foot out there to give me pause.  

On a side note, they've also captured police footage of the Mexican legend Chupacabra.  What's next, Loch Ness?

Have a great day
Tom

7 comments:

Jeanne M. said...

I'm cutting here to ask how Dawn is doing. Read that she was still in pain with her hand. So sorry something hasn't helped. I would email if I knew your address so if you want to reply to mine, that would be fine.

Tom said...

Jeanne,
Feel free to cut in whenever you want about anything. I don't think the Big-foot story was that interesting anyway. Not much has changed for Dawn. She is still in a lot of pain with the RSD. In fact, the pain that had traveled from her left hand up her left arm and across her shoulder has now begun to creep down her right arm as well. We are supposed to go in the end of September for the procedure that may have a chance at fixing this. Prayers will be greatly appreciated as we continue to try to find some peace and comfort for Dawn.
Again, thanks for your continued care,
Tom

jel said...

hey Tom,

I hope the procedure in Sept will help your wife!



have ya every seen Harry and the Henderson , cool movie about big foot! ;)

Tom said...

Jel,
I saw that movie years ago. That one didn't scare me too much. LOL

Tom

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that particular make. The prices as regards the shoes are about 230 dollars on every site. But for all I base this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi friends. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were approximately 200 pounds on every page. But completely I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm really into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the boots were about 250 dollars on every page. But completely I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what do you think?